New Jersey Devils 5 @ Washington Capitals 1
- Attendance: 18,573
- Three Stars: Nico Hischier 2. Louis Domingue 3. Will Butcher
- The Devils defeated the Capitals, 5-1, in the second of four contests of the 2019-20 regular season series. New Jersey improves to (1-1-0; 2 pts) against Washington this season.
- New Jersey improves to 5-6-2 (3-4-0 road) against Metropolitan Division rivals this season.
- Tonight opened the clubs 11th set of back-to-back action. The Devils improve to 2-6-3 in first games, and look to improve their 4-6-1 record in second games when they face-off against the Lightning tomorrow night at Prudential Center.
- The Capitals outshot the Devils, 34-22.
- New Jersey was 32-58 (55%) in face-offs tonight.
- The Devils are 2-7-1 at Capital One Arena and 4-12-2 overall against the Capitals since the 2015-16 season. Before tonight, the clubs last win at Capital One Arena was Dec. 29, 2016 (2-1 Wso).
- New Jersey will face-off against Washington for the third time, January 23 at Capital One Arena.
- Louis Domingue got the start for his sixth of the season. Domingue stopped 33 of 34 shots faced, and improves to 2-4-0 this season (1-0-0 vs. Metropolitan).
- Will Butcher suited up for his 200th NHL/NJD contest tonight. Butcher tallied 17:16 TOI and notched two helpers. Through 200 games played the Wisconsin native has tallied 13 goals and 78 assists for 88 points.
- Nico Hischier opened the scoring 5:27 into the first period assisted by Butcher and Connor Carrick. Butcher’s helper snaps a six game pointless streak (12/27-1/9) while Carrick tallies his first assist since 10/10 vs. EDM (1A).
- Nikita Gusev notched the Devils second goal of the contest 3:28 into the second frame assisted by Butcher and Wayne Simmonds. With his two assists, Butcher tallies his second two-assist game in his 2019-20 campaign.
- Blake Coleman notched the clubs fifth shorthanded goal of the season, assisted by Travis Zajac and Andy Greene. Greene is now just six helpers away from his 200th NHL/NJD. Coleman’s short-handed tuck marks his second of the season and is now one shy of tying his season high of shorthanded goals (3).
- Hischier tallied his second goal of the contest, 12:11 into the second assisted by Kyle Palmieri. Hischier’s two goal night marks his first of the season.
- Miles Wood tallied the empty net goal 15:04 into the third frame. The goal went unassisted.
- Game Summary
- Event Summary
- Full Play-by-Play
- Face-off Summary
- Face-off Comparison
- Roster Report
- Shot Summary
- TOI Report – New Jersey Devils
UPCOMING SCHEDULE *Subject to change
Tomorrow: 7PM Game vs. Tampa Bay @ Prudential Center