New Jersey Devils 2 vs. New York Rangers 1
- Attendance: 12,208
- Three Stars: 1. Drew Stafford 2. Joseph Blandisi 3. Jesper Bratt
- The Devils improved to 3-0-1 in 2017 preseason action. They have earned seven of a possible eight points. Tonight was the second of two games between New Jersey and NY Rangers; the Rangers handed the Devils their only defeat, a 4-3 overtime loss at Madison Square Garden on Sept. 20.
- New Jersey will play its first and only split-squad matchup of the preseason on Monday when half of the team will face off against the NY Islanders at Barclays Center. The second half will travel to Prince Edward Island to battle the Ottawa Senators in Canada’s 2017 Kraft Hockeyville Game.
- New Jersey out-shot their opponent 33-18, including 26-13 over the first two periods.
- The Devils were 1-7 (14.2%) on the power play, while their PK unit was 5-6 (83.3%).
- The Devils were penalized twice for having too many men on the ice, while the Rangers were penalized for bench minors on three occassions (2 face-off violation, 1 too many men).
- Joseph Blandisi scored New Jersey’s first goal of the night on the power play at 8:41 of the second period. Adam Henrique and John Quenneville each collected the helpers on the goal. Henrique also had seven shots on net tonight, more than any other player.
- Cory Schneider started in net for New Jersey and played for the entire game for the first time this preseason, stopping 17 of 18 shots (.944 save %).
- Drew Stafford sealed the win for the Devils, scoring the game-winner at 14:24 of the third period of a glove-side shot passed Rangers’ goaltender Brandon Halverson. He earned first-star of the game honors.
- John Moore led all Devils’ with four penalty minutes tonight (2 Roughing minors).
- Ben Lovejoy led all Devils tonight in TOI with 20:47.
Next Up *Subject to change
Tomorrow: 10:30 PM Practice at RWJ/Barnabas Health Hockey House (PEI Group)
12:00 PM Practice at RWJ/Barnabas Health Hockey House (others)
Monday: 6:00 PM at Ottawa (Kraft Hockeyville)
7:00 PM at NYI (Barclays Center)